The church at Mountain Village was first dedicated to Saint Barbara but was later rededicated to Saint Lawrence. The original church building was removed and replaced by a new building in 1957. Finally the present church was built in the late 1980's. It was dedicated on August 23, 1987 by Bishop Michael Kaniecki, S.J. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.
The Catholic community in Nenana has always been small. Society of Jesus priest built a church at Nenana around 1918. The Nenana mission was listed for the first time in The Official Catholic Directory in 1923 as St. Theresa, the name by which it is still known. It is not clear, however, which Theresa was meant. Nenana Catholics have long considered their patroness to be St. Therese of Lisieux, "the Little Flower," whose name is spelled differently, and who was not canonized until 1925. Some say the original patroness may have been St. Theresa of Avila. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.
The Catholic faith came to the Keyaluvik people around 1895 when a missionary priest from the Society of Jesus visited the area. It wasn't until the mid-1950's, however, that a church was built in what was by that time Newtok. This burned to the ground in August, 1974. A new church, dedicated to the Holy Family, was blessed by Bishop Robert Whelan, S.J., four years later, July 26, 1978. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.
Also in 1931, a crew arrived on the mission barge, "The Little Flower," with a load of lumber and supplies from the Holy Cross Mission sawmill. The crew included missionary priests from the Society of Jesus and several "big boys," older students from Holy Cross Boarding School. Together they built the first chapel in Nightmute. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.
A new Saint Joseph Church, built two blocks south of the old location, was dedicated on Easter, 1946. Finally the present Saint Joseph was built on the original site. It was dedicated by Bishop Michael Kaniecki, S.J., on March 19, 1994. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.
A part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fairbanks, we are located along the Richardson Highway about 15 miles Southeast of Fairbanks. Our parish is a place for everyone to gather at the table of the Lord. Our mission is to learn, to love, to build, to pray, to serve. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.
Nulato was the first Catholic mission in Northern Alaska. It was founded in 1877 by Pioneer Archbishop Charles Seghers. He dedicated it under the title Sancta Maria Ad Nives, "Saint Mary of the Snows," which later came to be called "Our Lady of the Snows." His dream was to make Nulato a permanent home base for central Alaska missions. He was to die for his dream. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.
Catholic presence was first noted in 1916 when a missionary priest from the Society of Jesus in a letter to his Provincial, mentioned a stopover in Nunam Iqua due to bad weather. However, there is no more recorded Catholic presence in the village until 1954. At that time a small church was built out of salvaged lumber from another mission in Akulurak. The church was originally dedicated to Saint Mary. In 1983 it was re- dedicated to Saint Peter. Under the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska.